Thursday, November 12, 2015

A Prayer? or a Wish?

Fyodor Dostoevsky
"Be not forgetful of prayer. Every time you pray, if your prayer is sincere, there will be new feeling and new meaning in it, which will give you fresh courage, and you will understand that prayer is an education."

(From Patricia: When I saw this quotation, I thought about prayer as an “education”. There is a difference between ‘prayers’ and ‘wishes’. Perhaps a prayer might start out as a wish, but when it is placed and seen before the Greatness of God, any selfishness in it becomes apparent.

Funny Example: Patrick was driving around and around the block, looking for a parking place. He had an important meeting to get to and he did not want to be late. Looking up to heaven, he
said, "Lord, take pity on me. If you find me a parking place I promise to go to Mass every Sunday for the rest of my life and give up swearing." Suddenly and miraculously, a parking place appeared. Patrick looked upward again and said, "Never mind. I found one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment