Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Wait Without Hope

T.S. Eliot
 “I said to my soul, be still and wait without hope, for hope would be hope for the wrong thing; wait without love, for love would be love of the wrong thing; there is yet faith, but the faith and the love are all in the waiting. 
Wait without thought, for you are not ready for thought: So the darkness shall be the light, and the stillness the dancing.”
Four Quartets

(From Patricia: When I read these beautiful words I also remember Thomas Merton saying that the contemplative waits in the Silence, not for a voice speaking in the Silence, but for the Silence, Itself, to speak. When that happens, the 'darkness is the Light and the stillness is the dancing'.)

2 comments:

  1. Not a big deal. Know where to go for quote of the day, but never received !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever so often, for a reason no one can explain to me, and though everything is set up as should be - the quote doesn't go out. This has to do, so I'm told, with something called the 'burner'. Sadly it will pile up on top of tomorrow's quote. There is no perfection in this world.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.