Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Eucharist as Teacher

Bernadette Roberts
[Speaking of her own spiritual journey]

“It would be impossible and even irrelevant to detail this journey any further. Suffice it to say it was an experiential, insightful, life-time journey wherein the Eucharist was absolutely central, so central that without it, there would have been no journey. 
"Recently several people asked me what particular techniques I used and how I managed to travel without a teacher. I could find no way to give them a satisfying answer, in fact, the question drew a blank. If I told them my teacher not only taught without a single word or technique, but DID it all as well, this would make the journey sound so totally passive it would only have discouraged them. Just how much we do on this journey, and how much we do not do, seems to be a problem for many people."
Eucharist, A Christian Path
From Essays on the Christian Contemplative Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment