Sunday, February 28, 2016

Prayer of Gratitude

Etty Hillesum

"You have made me so rich, O God; let me share out your beauty with open hands. My life has become an uninterrupted dialogue with you, O God, one great dialogue.

"Sometimes when I stand in some corner of the camp, my feet planted on your earth, my eyes raised toward your heaven, tears run down my face, tears of deep emotion and gratitude. At night, too, when I lie on my bed and rest in you, O God, tears of gratitude run down my face, and that is my prayer....

"My life is one great dialogue with you."
An Interrupted Life 
(From Patricia: Etty Hillesum’s words take on even more depth when we realize she was a Jewish woman who lived under the Nazi regime and died in Auschwitz. What a perfect way to speak of the contemplative life - "My life is one great dialogue with You".)

(Also from Patricia: Click here for Book Recommendation)

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! Once cried tears of self-pity; now, rarely tears, but from some Overwhelming of Grace, like overflowing but not into or through the body - most often when outside silently looking upon Nature. Not nature mysticism, but simply some sense of the Beauty behind Nature, that makes nature a conduit of Grace - Nature.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.