Monday, November 14, 2016

The Best and the Worst of Us

Fr. Ronald Rolheiser
"To be connected with the church is to be associated with scoundrels, warmongers, fakes, child-molesters, murderers, adulterers, and hypocrites of every description. It also, at the same time, identifies you with saints and the finest persons of heroic soul within every time, country, race, and gender. 
To be a member of the church is to carry the mantle of both the worst sin and the finest heroism of soul . . . because the church always looks exactly as it looked at the original crucifixion, God hung among thieves."
Ronald Rolheiser Archive

(Like some of the people who have emailed me (Day Book readers), I, too, have been having my troubles with the Church, at least with some of the priests. Our Church was encouraged to vote for D. Trump - though for them to encourage either candidate is strictly against the law. I spoke out, and got the cold shoulder. In seeking advice I spoke with a contemplative priest who advised me to 'vote with your feet'. In other words, find another Church. So I have been attending daily Mass at a local hospital chapel. Even in the Church where I felt out of communion, the Blessed Sacrament remained the same, unchanged. And prayer and meditation continued to bring inner peace. Thank God, truly, for that. If you feel you are too unsettled to pray, I offer you a short video of Fr. Rolheiser's speaking about prayer. It is 9 minutes and 32 seconds very well spent.)

On Prayer


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.