Thursday, April 27, 2017

Humor is Divine

Elizabeth Hansen

“In C.S. Lewis’ The Magician’s Nephew, there is a scene after Narnia’s creation when the Jackdaw bird makes an awkward fool of itself. The other animals are greatly amused but unsure of a proper reaction. “Laugh and fear not, creatures,” Aslan gently says. “You need not always be grave.

But I do fear! Social media pumps new anxieties at me every day: ways I never imagined my children could be hurt or worse. Then there’s the exhausting gauntlet of self-questioning, from trivial concerns to doubts that touch the core of my vocation: Are my children (really) listening? Am I showing them God? Yet as my husband and I laughed together one night, I felt grateful for our faith that has both mirth and solemnity. Did Our Lady laugh at herself? I’m sure of it. Laugh and fear not. Christ has conquered all.

Magnificat, April 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.