Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Tell God the Truth!

Bernadette Roberts

“And how was it that everyone around me claimed to know God, even love God, but not me? Something was wrong here, surely I was not still "too little" or not old enough. After some thought, I came upon the only solution I could think of.  From now on, every night when I said my prayers I would end with this prayer: "God, I don't know you and I don't feel any love for you, but I hope some day I will know and love you.  Please make this possible."  I was faithful to this resolution for many years.  There was something about being honest with God that always brought satisfaction – and ultimately, results.

Contemplative, Chapter: Ages 5 & 6

[This stark honesty was typical of Bernadette, and I never saw her behave any other way. Tell God the truth! Tell God how you really feel, how things are really going for you. God knows it anyway, but your honesty will set you free. No need for sweet, sentimental words – tell it just like it is, with the intention of telling it to God.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.