Sunday, December 1, 2019

Finding Home

Though the Church has been personally both a 'scandal' and a 'disappointment', I know beyond doubt that God led me there – though I kicked, screamed and disavowed it for years. Even after joining the Church, I was a 'closet Catholic' for longer than I like to admit, attending Buddhist meditation events and even teaching techniques from the East, while secretly finding my real spiritual sustenance in the Mass. However, once the Eucharist revealed God, that was the end of the struggle – I was home, and forever. The politics, the limitations, even the scandals were no longer 'stumbling blocks' because the Presence of God made itself known in Christ.
"For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God." (I Corinthians 22-24)
We could replace 'Jews' with those who seek God by living by the exacting standards of any tradition, and replace 'Greeks' with those who believe God can be found with the mind. It is far more mysterious, and far more true, than any of that. It is a path of revelation and must be revealed to each and every one. 

1 comment:

  1. This is so relevant to what I have been thinking of.  I have also had a hard journey coming to know and accept that I am a Catholic and the Church is my family and it is my place to worship and be with God.  I just happened to come upon this podcast this morning about Aids and the Catholic Church on a website "America: Jesuit Review".  I listened to it and it was very moving and also confirmed in many ways what I have come to realize about being a Catholic and that I am home.  https://www.americamagazine.org/plague

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here.