Thursday, July 2, 2020

What I See in Others...

St. Gertrude*
By all these marks of Thy gentle love thou hast led me to a salutary knowledge of my faults, and at the same time spared my shame with so much charity, that - pardon me for saying it - it would seem as if the loss of half Thy kingdom were less to Thee than to cause me a momentary confusion for my imperfections. 
Therefore, in order to make them known to me, Thou didst use this wise expedient - discovering to me the defects which displeased Thee in others, and of which, when I entered into myself, I found I was more guilty than they were, although Thou didst not give me the least sign of having perceived them in me.
 The Life and Revelations of St. Gertrude (The Great)
*Virgin and abbess of the Order of St. Benedict

[Often that which we most intensely dislike in others can be found, to those willing enough and honest enough to see it, in ourselves. I have found this to be true so many times that I could never deny it. "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own?" Matt. 7:3 ]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.