Monday, February 3, 2020

In the Face of Darkness and Doubt

St. Catherine of Siena

You may say to me, “What can I do when I experience such darkness and blindness of spirit that there doesn’t seem to be a thread of light by which I can hang on to hope?”… Remember, sin can live only in a perverse and evil will. When you know you have a good will, and know you would rather die than actually offend God, then you must let go of your discouragement and walk by the light of the grace hidden within your soul, the grace God has given you in safeguarding your goodwill. 

Answer discouragement by saying, 'If divine grace were not in me, I would have no good will but would be following your tricks and my own evil thoughts. But I trust in Christ, who will keep me safe right up to the end of my life'.

Letters of St. Catherine of Siena, Vol. II

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here.